Current:Home > MarketsPrince William sets sail in Singapore dragon boating race ahead of Earthshot Prize ceremony -Capitatum
Prince William sets sail in Singapore dragon boating race ahead of Earthshot Prize ceremony
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:30:01
SINGAPORE — Britain’s Prince William took to the waters in Singapore for a morning of dragon boating Monday, ahead of activities for the annual Earthshot Prize awards aimed at promoting solutions for the planet’s environmental threats.
Donning a life vest and a black cap, the Prince of Wales sat in a long narrow boat as he paddled with athletes from the British Dragons Club on the Kallang River. Working in pairs, William and the other 19 paddlers rowed vigorously to the steady beat of a drummer standing in the bow.
His boat triumphed in a brief race with another boat captained by British High Commissioner Kara Owen. It was not the first time for William, an avid sportsman who tried his hand at dragon boating with his wife, Princess Kate, during a tour of Canada in 2011.
Dragon boat racing, originating from China, can be traced back nearly 2,000 years before it became a modern international sport in 1976.
“I was lucky enough to be sitting next to him, and he is just a really nice guy,” said Laura Greenwood, a British expat who is a member of the British Dragons. “He has dragon boated before, so he felt kind of confident in what he was doing ... It was quite fast pace, so he kept up really well.”
William, 41, arrived Sunday ahead of the annual Earthshot Prize awards ceremony, the first to be held in Asia. William and his Royal Foundation charity launched the global environment competition in 2020 to promote innovative solutions and technologies to combat global warming and repair the planet.
William is to address a star-studded award ceremony on Tuesday, where winners will be named in five categories: nature protection, clean air, ocean revival, waste elimination, and climate change.
Each winner will get 1 million pounds ($1.2 million) to help them scale up their projects for wider global reach. All 15 finalists, representing six continents and selected from 1,300 nominees this year, will receive help in expanding their projects.
Actors Hannah Waddingham and Sterling K. Brown will co-host the event, which will also be attended by wildlife conservationist Robert Irwin and celebrities including Oscar-winner Cate Blanchett and actors Lana Condor and Nomzamo Mbatha.
The prize’s name refers to the late President John F. Kennedy’s 1962 “moonshot” speech, which challenged Americans to reach the moon by the end of that decade. That inspired the prince and his partners to set a similar goal for finding solutions to environmental problems by 2030.
The inaugural ceremony was held in London in 2021 and the second in Boston last year.
Earthshot Prize in NYC:Prince William says 'optimism' and 'hope' is key to climate reform
William’s office at Kensington Palace has said Singapore was chosen to host this year’s ceremony because of its role as a “hub for innovation” in Southeast Asia.
During his four-day visit, his first to the city-state since 2012, William will also call on Singapore President Tharman Shanmugaratnam and meet with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.
William also plans to attend the United for Wildlife summit, featuring representatives of law enforcement agencies, conservation groups and corporations working to combat trade in illegal wildlife products, estimated at $20 billion annually.
Princess Kate gives pep talkto schoolboy who fell off his bike: 'You are so brave'
veryGood! (6583)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Can you buy alcohol on July 4th? A look at alcohol laws by state in the US
- How obscure 'Over 38 Rule' rule can impact LeBron James signing longer deal with Lakers
- A bridge near a Minnesota dam may collapse. Officials say they can do little to stop it
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Israel releases head of Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital after 7-month detention without charge
- Lebanese authorities charge US Embassy shooter with affiliation to militant Islamic State group
- Northern California wildfire spreads, with more hot weather expected. Thousands evacuate
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Plans to demolish Texas church where gunman opened fire in 2017 draw visitors back to sanctuary
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Virginia certifies John McGuire’s primary victory over Rep. Bob Good, who says he’ll seek a recount
- Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese highlight 2024 WNBA All-Star selections: See full roster
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage climbs for the first time since late May to just under 7%
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Why Taylor Swift Isn’t Throwing Her Iconic Fourth of July Party in Rhode Island This Year
- Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese highlight 2024 WNBA All-Star selections: See full roster
- A bridge near a Minnesota dam may collapse. Officials say they can do little to stop it
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
FBI investigates vandalism at two Jewish cemeteries in Cincinnati
Pink cancels concert due to health issue: 'Unable to continue with the show'
One way to get real-life legal experience? A free trip to the Paris Olympics
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
New Mexico denies film incentive application on ‘Rust’ movie after fatal shooting by Alec Baldwin
At 17 years old, he was paralyzed from the waist down. 3 years later, he competed in a marathon.
An Ohio apartment building, evacuated after a deadly explosion nearby, could reopen soon